Thursday, February 23, 2017

How to Pray

I've been reflecting a lot about my relationship with my Heavenly Father, and something struck me. I realized that a lot of the time when I pray, it's mostly one sided. I expect answers, but how I pray isn't very conducive to receiving answers. This was astonishing to me, because for a long time I had never really understood the scripture found in Matthew 21:22. It reads:
 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Image result for prayerNow, this scripture is pretty straight forward. But what I didn't understand was how I could be praying for something, like an answer to a question, and not feel like I was receiving any inspiration. The scripture said ask and receive, but I didn't feel like I was getting anything. Well, I began to think about how I was asking and I realized that maybe I'm not asking for the right things. If my goal on this Earth is to align my will with my Heavenly Fathers, I should probably be asking for the things he wants me to ask for. I find that when I ask my Heavenly Father to lead my prayer, and when I ask for the things he would want me to ask for, I receive more answers. The things I want are secondary, I can still pray and tell Him about them, but that doesn't mean that I'll receive an automatic answer. Sometimes it takes some time, and I have to be okay with that. I have to trust that my Heavenly Father has a plan for me and that His timing is better than my own. He loves me, and I need to trust that He will do what is best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment